Sunday, September 23, 2012

Bunnies, Mochi, and the Moon.

This coming weekend is the celebration of Otsukimi- which literally means moon-viewing.  An ancient Japanese tradition, the original, aristocratic celebrants of Otsukimi would compose haiku, enjoy special snacks, and hold dreamy, moon-viewing parties.  Part of the celebration included arrangements of Japanese pampas grass and dango- a type of mochi/rice dumpling- which were offered to the moon in prayers for a good harvest.  Fortunately for us, Japan still celebrates Otsukimi, and many gardens and temples schedule seasonal events around this time of year!

How does the Rabbit fit into all this?  Just as American children look for the Old Man in the Moon, Japanese children search the moon for a Rabbit.  But the Rabbit in the moon is quite busy. He is hard at work pounding mochi!  

Celebrating Otsukimi is one of my favorite events of the Japanese calendar year.  When we first moved here, my good friend, Mari, took me to my first moon-viewing party at Sankeien Gardens in Yokohama.  It remains one of my top three, Most Amazing Experiences In Japan.  I was unable to celebrate Otsukimi last year, but this year I've made sure to block off the evening!  I am so excited!

I bought a pack of face-blotting papers from the shop in yesterday's post.
The cute cover depicts the moon, bunnies, and the pyramid of dango mochi!


I'll be posting about Otsukimi all week.  For more articles and Otsukimi events, head over to Facebook and "like" the The Tofu Fox page.  I'll put putting something up every day!

Disclaimer:  I do my best to make sure all my information is accurate.  However, details may change or I may just be flat-out wrong.  Please let me know if something needs a correction.  Thank-you!

No comments:

Post a Comment